We started Kalilo with a sustainability first approach. It's at the heart of our brand - deeply embedded in our philosophy, our core values and our vision, ensuring that sustainability will shape our brand going forward. We as a brand take responsibility towards you and do our bit by being transparent and making it easy for you to make sustainable choices. Whenever you purchase a Kalilo product, we want you to feel confident, safe and guilt-free.
Our commitment to sustainability is reflected on our love and obsession with natural fibres. We want to ensure that all our products are gentle on the environment and you. From products to packaging we use natural fibres as much as possible. Our packaging is minimal - no unnecessary paper, plastic or synthetic material and is focused on re-usability.
Design and packing matters
A well-made, high quality product will be loved, cared for and used to its fullest - promoting less use of resources. After-all, less is more and quality always wins over quantity, doesn't it? We at Kalilo strongly believe that long use-reuse and not short use-throw-recycle has to be the way going forward.
All our products are handmade in Nepal using the finest and the purest natural fibres - no compromise on the quality and made to last. They are classic, pragmatic and minimalist - made to endure fashion waves for years to come. They are made with lots of love and care - we want you to love, cherish and enjoy our products every-time and for a long time.
You will get your Kalilo product neatly packed in a cotton dust bag or a tote bag which you can re-use many times. Sustainability is not only limited to the materials we use or the processes involved. Knowing how/where the materials are sourced from or if any nasty chemicals were used during processing are just a small part of a much bigger story.
We dream of a world where slow is the new norm and our voracious need to consume does not compromise our planet and the needs of the future generation. A world where everybody embraces slow fashion to create a wardrobe that lasts long - not a wardrobe that’s built on fast fashion trends that harm our planet. We ask questions about who, how and where our clothes are made. We consume because we chose to consciously and not just because we can.
Remember that the fashion industry is the second most polluting industry in the planet – although this might not change radically in a year or two, we can slowly get there if we work together and make changes continuously even if they are small - they add up.
This is a pledge to you - our customers. Years will come and go, but in the list below are some things that you can always expect from us.
- We are not/will never be a fast fashion brand and do not follow fashion trends. Our focus is and always will be on longevity - timeless, classic and thoughtful design.
- We do not/will never have seasonal collections – we add new items from time to time. We will always prioritize quality over quantity.
- We do not/will never use synthetic fibers in our clothing unless it’s recycled – currently less than 10 % of our clothing have label tags made from non-recycled polyester, by the end of 2020 all our clothing will have label tags made from OEKO-TEX 100 certified 100% recycled polyester.
- We do not/will never use toxic dyes in any of our clothing. We use AZO free dyes.
- We do not/will never position ourselves as a sustainable fashion brand, but as a slow fashion brand that is passionate about handmade clothing made from the highest quality natural fibers. Sustainability is a very broad term and it is hard to work with every aspect of it, however we work a lot with sustainability and it is in our DNA. We know that there is a lot more we can do with sustainability and that excites us. We will take on different tangible initiatives focused on sustainability in the year 2020 and further.
- We do not/will never have a large inventory. We only produce in small batches – the biggest batch we have done so far is 20 for Scarf Iname. This is one of the biggest reasons why our products are expensive. We are committed to promoting moderate consumption every way that we can.
- We do not/will never have stock clearance/end of season sales – well we do not have big stocks to clear after-all.
- We do not/will never promote senseless consumerism – no black Friday, cyber Monday or Single’s day sales.
- We do not/will never work with big suppliers who mass produce in big batches – we only work with carefully vetted small suppliers and believe in building strong personal relationships with them. We have come up with a questionnaire focusing on different areas – sustainability goals and vision, working conditions, ethical and social impact, environmental impact and etc. It helps us to get to know them better, where they are currently and where they are heading. By the end of 2020 we will publish responses to this questionnaire from each and every supplier we work with.
- We try not to use plastics in our product packaging – each and every Kalilo product is neatly packed in a cotton dust bag. The shipping cardboard box we use is recyclable and made from FSC certified and responsibly sourced material. The adhesive tape used (in case needed) for outer packaging is made from 100% recycled plastic. Hang label thread is OEKO-TEX 100 certified 100% cotton.
- We do not/will never use low quality fibers – we want our clothing to last long and to be re-used as much as possible whether given away or sold second hand, keep the circularity of our clothing going. We fully understand that classic designs made from the highest quality fibers have a good chance of having decent second hand value.