Kalilo was born out of our love and admiration for natural, sustainable and eco-friendly products.
All our apparels and accessories are sourced from Nepal. Made with lots of love and care by our handpicked suppliers. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. We try to follow them from the beginning to the end. Starting from the choice of fibres we work with to packaging our products. We use natural and reusable materials for packaging and also try to keep it minimal whenever possible.
A product is not merely a product, it's more than you see. A lot happens from fibres being collected by herders and farmers to a product that ends up in our store and in your hand. Our long term vision is to be vertically integrated and work with most if not all of the supply chain ourselves - sourcing fibres from farmers and spinning yarns to knitting and weaving fabrics; all under one roof - Kalilo. This means we will be able to provide great products to you at even better prices while ensuring that local businesses, farmers and communities get paid fairly.
We get our products directly from our partners who have their own facilities where they weave and knit the fabrics for us. We have put a lot of effort in finding the partners who are transparent to us.
We gather all this information using a questionnaire that consists of questions in different areas like: raw materials, certifications, manufacturing process, animal welfare, working conditions, living wage, benefits, social and ethical impact and etc. We want to ensure that people that work there are paid fairly and are provided with good working conditions and their work is respected and valued. The questionnaire is about evaluating (not judging) where a supplier currently is and to identify areas of improvement. Only when we are happy we choose to collaborate.
This process takes time, but it means we can trust our partners and build a lasting relationship that benefits everyone. This gives us confidence to tell you that every time you buy a Kalilo product you can be rest assured that you are making a conscious and guilt-free fashion and living choice.
We aspire to be a company that challenges the status quo. We believe that it's possible to run a profitable business ethically - empowering people, local businesses and communities.
We are strongly driven by our vision of having everything under one roof - enabling us to create jobs and opportunities by hiring local workforce and contributing to the local economy. We want to source all the raw materials locally from the farmers and herders in Nepal giving them a solid and sustained income which ensures that they continue raising and herding yaks and goats for years to come, keeping the old traditions alive.
We work with high quality handmade products from natural fibers like: cashmere, yak wool, silk and bamboo as much as we can. And we are looking to add new fibers to that list all the time.
We strongly believe that sustainability is more than the processes and raw materials - it's also about design. We want you to love and enjoy our products. Inspired from Scandinavia, they are minimalist and timeless. Made to last and remain fashionable for years to come.
We dream of a world where slow is the new norm and our voracious need to consume does not compromise our planet and the needs of the future generation. A world where everybody embraces slow fashion to create a wardrobe that lasts long - not a wardrobe that’s built on fast fashion trends that harm our planet. We ask questions about who, how and where our clothes are made. We consume because we chose to consciously and not just because we can.
Remember that the fashion industry is the second most polluting industry in the planet – although this might not change radically in a year or two, we can slowly get there if we work together and make changes continuously even if they are small - they add up.
This is a pledge to you - our customers. Years will come and go, but in the list below are some things that you can always expect from us.
- We are not/will never be a fast fashion brand and do not follow fashion trends. Our focus is and always will be on longevity - timeless, classic and thoughtful design.
- We do not/will never have seasonal collections – we add new items from time to time. We will always prioritize quality over quantity.
- We do not/will never use synthetic fibers in our products unless it’s recycled – currently less than 10 % of our products have label tags made from non-recycled polyester, by the end of 2020 all our new apparels and accessories will have label tags made from OEKO-TEX 100 certified recycled polyester.
- We do not/will never use toxic dyes in any of our apparels and accessories. We use AZO free dyes only.
- We do not/will never position ourselves as a sustainable fashion brand, but as a slow fashion brand that is passionate about handmade apparels made from the highest quality natural fibers. Sustainability is a very broad term and it is hard to work with every aspect of it, however we work a lot with sustainability and it is in our DNA. We know that there is a lot more we can do with sustainability and that excites us. We believe in progress over perfection. We will take on different tangible initiatives focused on sustainability in the year 2020 and further.
- We do not/will never have a large inventory. We only produce in small batches – the biggest batch we have done so far is 20 for Scarf Iname. This is one of the biggest reasons why our products are expensive. We are committed to promoting moderate consumption every way that we can.
- We do not/will never have stock clearance/end of season sales – well we do not have big stocks to clear after-all.
- We do not/will never promote senseless consumerism – no black Friday, cyber Monday or Single’s day sales.
- We do not/will never work with big suppliers who mass produce in big batches – we only work with carefully vetted small suppliers and believe in building strong personal relationships with them. We have come up with a questionnaire/code of conduct focusing on different areas – sustainability goals and vision, working conditions, ethical and social impact, environmental impact and etc. It helps us to get to know them better, where they are currently and where they are heading. By the end of 2020 we will publish responses to this questionnaire/code of conduct from each and every supplier we work with.
- We avoid plastics usage in our product packaging – each and every Kalilo product is neatly packed in a cotton dust bag. We will slowly phase out existing cotton dustbags and introduce dustbags made from GOTS certified fairtrade 100% organic cotton.
- The shipping cardboard box we use is recyclable and made from FSC certified and responsibly sourced material. The adhesive tape used (in case needed) for outer packaging is made from 100% recycled plastic. Hang label thread is OEKO-TEX 100 certified 100% cotton.
- We do not/will never use low quality fibers – we want our products to last long and to be re-used as much as possible whether given away or sold second hand, keep the circularity of our apparels and accessories going. We fully understand that classic designs made from the highest quality fibers have a good chance of having decent second hand value.